Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Pampelmuse

I'm not one for adults with kids toys. Like people who collect "Taz" dolls, or get tattoos of Winnie the Pooh or the Roadrunner. I don't really appreciate seeing Disney stuffed animals in adult rooms. Even keychains are really pushing it.

However, when I was in high school I fell in love with one particular character. Remember that fat German caterpillar from "A Bug's Life" named Heimlich? He really brightened my days; thats all.

I was given Heimlich dolls as gifts. I hide them now, but I still have them. One particular gift was Heimlich the bike horn. I could have (but didn't) fastened it onto my bike handlebars, so that if I needed to warn someone that I was coming, I could just press Heimlich's butt and he would Germanically shout one of three things:

Heimlich here!
Excuse me, pardon me, coming through!
Places to go and things to eat!

This weekend I purchased some pink grapefruit Mentos. Not just out of curiousity and my love of chewy fruity candies, but because the German word for grapefruit is Pampelmuse. Pampelmuse!

I love it.

2 comments:

emily said...

Heimlich here! Hee hee hee. I forgot all about him. Pampelmuse! How is it pronounced?

PAM-pl-moose?

Sooz said...

I'm pretty sure it would be "PAM-pl-mooza"