Thursday, June 19, 2008

Monday's Child

Found out about this poem last night:

Monday's child is fair of face.
Tuesday's child is full of grace.
Wednesday's child is loving and giving.
Thursday's child works hard for a living,
Friday's child is full of woe.
Saturday's child has far to go.
But the child that is born on Sabbath-day
Is bonny and happy and wise and gay.

So you're way better off being born earlier in the week. Generally before Thursday. I can't help but imagine that the weekend was a busy time for midwives and they wanted to discourage mothers from going into labor when they'd rather be kicking back for happy hour and barbeques.

There are two versions of this poem, and either way I am born on Thursday, which means either that I have far to go, or I work hard for a living. Awesome. It reminds me of the tragic movie "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," which may or may not have made me cry three times. After America Ferrera confronts her father for abandoning her, the camera pans to the children's leukemia ward and I just wept "Oh NO!"
My point is, that meanwhile, Rory is falling in love with a hottie in Greece! Her summer is so much better than the others, I just don't get it. When she leaves, the entire town comes out to say goodbye, and they send her down the mountainside on a donkey procession, with the glimmering blue sea behind her. Clearly a Sabbath-day's child.

Check back later when I rewrite this poem. I think I'll include something like "She works hard for the money," so I can at least be pictured with a sweatshirt off my shoulders.

No comments: