Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Pye

Taking a clue from Dave at ETD, I would like to devote this entire post to my darling cat, Pye. Two nights ago I couldn't find her when I crawled into bed. I couldn't sleep, imagining her out there getting raped and beaten by really mean "alley cats" or skinned by serial-killers-to-be. I don't think some cats should be "outdoor cats", especially not this one because she is a gentle little pacifist who only likes cuddling and gently pawing at my stomach. After a restless, nightmare-ridden sleep, I woke up and got ready for work. Sure enough, when I opened the front door, Pye was on the porch mewing away. Then she limped past me and up the stairs to my bed. Her little paw was swollen and bleeding! Our landlady's car was towed yesterday so she couldn't take Pye to the vet, so when I got home, Pye was still a sleepy little invalid in a lot of pain. My roommate had set her up on a pillow with her food and water next to her. She had been sleeping all day, probably worn out from running for her life. Her little paw is still swollen to twice the size. Last night it was so nice to have her back in my bed. She sleeps curled up right next to my belly, with her head all buried in her front paws. She is just so damn cute. Not as crazy as Dave's cats, I presume, but I love her so much. I can't stop worrying about her.

5 comments:

DCBCooper said...

sounds like her little paw is broken. you should take her to the vet if you can but cats heal in a remarkably quick timeframe. hope she's feeling better soon.

Sooz said...

Thanks! I will give her a little cat-sized hug from you. She's really supposed to be our landlady's cat, so I think she's going to the vet today.

Sooz said...

Update: Pye had an absess which was lanced. She now has a little cat-cast and has to wear "the collar." She does not like it. She drags herself on her side across the floor like a seal and meows really loudly and frequently. When we let her out of the carrier, she really threw a fit. Then we read the instructions: "Cats do not react positively to "The Victorian Collar." Yep. That is true. She's a sight, though. We can't put her on anything off the ground or she rolls off the bed and lands face first on the cone. Then she is stuck. It is so sad.

emily said...

Yeah,those little collars are rough on the stittens. They trap their whiskers and cut off that sensory device so the cat is pretty lost and imbalanced. My cats always tried to back out of them. Ben's cats would just sit in one place confused. Give her a kitty sixed hug for me too.

Anonymous said...

Sooz, you should get your own plastic safety cone as a sign of solidarity with the cat. You should also make quick trips to the store with your "solidarity cone" on, and when people ask you what's wrong, you should tell about the cat's operation and how you got a "solidarity cone" but now you can't figure out how to take it off and if they would please help you.