Tuesday, May 23, 2006

free it up: blaine

Reasons why I like the word Blaine:

1. the town in "Waiting for Guffman". (Red White and Blaine? yes please.)

Reasons why I hate the word Blaine:

2. The Blaine, MN girls soccer team were bitches and they all wore silver hoop earrings, fancy warm-up clothes and perms just b/c they were rich and knew that "matching" was the primary intimidation tactic for girls soccer.

1. And the # one reason I hate the word blaine? David Blaine. Don't get me wrong: When I first saw his DVD with all the street magic i was like "Wow, magic DOES exist." and i sort of liked watching all the cute kids and elderlies getting wowed. But now. Now he is nothing more than a self-glorifying showman. I hate showmanship, and this is showmanship at its worst. Its like saying "GATHER YE ROUND FOR A GIANT DEFYING TRICK WHERE I WILL HOP ON ONE FOOT FOR SOOOOOOOO LONG. LIKE REALLY REALLY LONG!" That is not a trick. And all the drama! Why do we care if he lives or dies? He's not Ghandi, starving himself for the freedom of an entire peoples! There's no cause here. Just Jesusification. He is gross.

Not to mention magician fashion.

5 comments:

emily said...

I don't understand him. I really liked him when he did all the street magic, because it was so simple and lovely, but now? Submerging yourself in a tank of water for 3 days. It's fake. We know it's fake and not in the fun way that we know pulling rabbits out of hats is fake.

Anonymous said...

and the way the bubble made him look extra huge and larger-than-life- ugh! although he did look hot wil the prune-y hands, and all his skin sloughing off into the water--mmmm, i think liver failure is so sexy!

Anonymous said...

Do you remember our intimidation tactic for girls from places like Blaine? I do believe we told them that because we were all from "THE CITY!" and we were in gangs and carried guns in our soccer bags!! HA! Blaine is ugly in so many ways. Oh and Red, White, and Blaine! If I had to pick a favorite of the musical, it might be the factory scene- "Never stopping, always working!" LOVE IT

Anonymous said...

Can I comment here? WILL IT MAKE IT THROUGH THE ETHER? U are Soozi U? I gnu U in Woo after Gunnar U. If this is you, U, can we exchange addresses off the air? Remember Tom and Jeff, same last name ... the college and the high school, friends of Morgan and Denman?

jubilhill@sssnet.com

Sooz said...

no jubilhill, i don't think thats me. good luck!