Sunday, July 01, 2007

The New Cool 108

My car's cassette (yeah cassette) player don't work, so its radio for me. One of my favorite things about Minneapolis right now is the battle between Love 105 and the New Cool 108. When Love 105 came out and started playing mostly love related songs, they cut into the Cool 108 oldies market. This caused Cool 108 to play mostly oldies that were not related to love for awhile (i think there's only two and one starts with "jeremiah was a bullfrog.") Finally Cool 108 realized what we've all known for a long time, which is that the eighties and nineties now constitute the oldies, so they can play journey, madonna,disco greats. Even patsy cline! you name it. And then they added the "new" and have only been playing good stuff. which makes Love 105 look like saps.

So I basically switch back and forth between the two of them, giving them points that disappear immediately b/c the points don't mean anything.

Except occasionally I turn to the Current, but I don't like how much they talk about music on there. Like "oh aren't we all cool people who hang out and know so much about music, and don't we all want to go to this or that concert. We just can't wait until so-and-so comes to town." You see, I like music just as much as the next person, but I hate when people act like music is their life. Its not food. Its not entertainment or friendship. Sometimes, its memories, but mostly its atmosphere or for dancing/expression. Sometimes it communicates with the soul, I know I know. I get it. But I hate hearing people talk about it. Like when musicians tell the audience in a live setting about the song they're about to sing. They just ALWAYS sound like assholes. And I'm sorry, this is very different than telling the dixie chicks to shut up and sing. I think its great if musicians have political beliefs. I just don't want to hear about how "we wrote this one on the road on the way to Decatur. We had just stopped at a gas station where, like, the closest town was Wannamaker or some shit. So the guy at the station must have had TWO teeth. but he just had this beautiful soul, ya know? This songs for that guy."

No comments: