Monday, July 23, 2007

Subtle takers of the cake

Some days every table you serve is crazy. And some days you wait on a woman who takes the old cake. But its always the subtle ones. Not the yelling ones. But the ones who really seem like they don't know how restaurants work. Food comes out. You pay for food.

This one lady finished her damn flan (after telling me all about how nobody has just "good custard" any more) and, while clearing her plate I asked "are you folks ready for your bill?" Her reply was a solemn and slow shake of the head, her eyes locked on my face. I just said "what?" like I didn't understand. She said "We don't need it."

I said "Oh ok, just wondering," and walked away. In about 2 minutes I noticed that her sad husband (who must be a big churchgoer and must ask the lord everyday why he's still married) had his wallet out. I decided to ignore it until she called me over to ask me specifically for the check.

The next thing happened when I was near their table taking an order from a different table. She said "Do you have the bill?" with a tone that said "why didn't you bring the bill?" I said "Do I have it on me? No, but I can go print it for you!" with a great degree of pep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So was her point that she shouldn't have to pay for the flan, since she implied, in a roundabout way, that she didn't like it? I have to say, that's a very passive-aggressive way to complain about food. People should just say what they mean.