Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Great Cancer vs. Laughter debate of '06

Have you ever been laughing on the train, really yukking it up, when you suddenly wonder, do these people on this train hate me? I have to say that I have rarely thought that. If you look around, peoples' faces look tired, but in general they've all come to accept the subway as a chaotic stream of personalities that best be ignored.

Until recently. Because recently I was confronted by this lady. She came out of nowhere and threw her flaming hot anger all over me and my friend. She sarcastically asked us if she could sit down next to us because she wanted to know what was so damn funny. She sat her big sweaty body down right next to me and glared at me. Then she said "Hey, I've got a joke for you. Tell me if you think this is funny. I'm unemployed and today I found out I have cancer. Do you think thats funny?"

No its not. Its sad. But its one of those times that, despite knowing the safe answer, all the Christian-Slater-Rebellion answers pop into your head first:
"Actually, empirically, cancer has been proven by several well-known comedians to be a perfectly acceptable and sometimes even welcome source of laughter."
~and~
"Actually, if you were watching this altercation from the outside, it would be a perfect comedy bit. Someone who every time they laugh in public is accosted by an unemployed cancer patient."

Luckily we finally surmised that she just wanted us to be quiet so she could get some sleep and we got off at the next stop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for the lady who has cancer, but at the same time, should we all say to ourselves all the time "hey, I better not laugh at anything in public. Someone might have cancer." That's pretty unreasonable. To expect people to anticipate any problem you might have and act accordingly is self-centered to an extreme that is unwarranted, even in cancer patients.

emily said...

I don't find this post funny at all. I have a hangnail.

Fuck you!