Friday, July 14, 2006

sad sandwich

I almost cried when I saw my sandwich today.

I went to Au Bon Pain which I generally try to avoid because this guy in my office always gets this one salad from there with asiago cheese and it smells like butthole.

Anyway, I had to go there b/c sometimes every NY deli looks suspicious. Especially in the summer. And especially when there's way too much shellfish in every deli for all of it to be fresh. And its right next to the cottage cheese. Ew, I have to stop.

So I ordered something off the menu called "Portobello Goat Cheese Sandwich with Artichoke Aioli on Sundried." Now that sounds like my kind of sandwich.

I watched as each sandwich before mine was made.

And then I seriously watched this woman pull out this thin "baguette" about the size of a newborn baby's wrist. She then slathered mushroom spread and goat cheese on each miniscule section. And then one piece of lettuce and two tomato slices.

It was, totally seriously, the smallest sandwich I have ever ever seen. It looked like something you could use to play a video game with. It was $6.50.

P.S. Martika's Toy Soldiers is the best song in the history of the world.

No comments: